Monday, September 09, 2002

BANDS I'D FORGOTTEN HAD EXISTED: Confetti. If pressed to file them in an easy cardboard sleeve, I'd say it was what you would have got if the cutietastic Fat Tulips had stopped drawing hearts and flowers and had turned instead to doing bombs and daggers. Once I'd had my memory nudged, it all came rushing back, especially the wonderful Who's Big And Clever Now, a kind of reworking of Another Sunny Day's You Should All Be Murdered, only this time it's personal:
I really hope a tower block
will fall on you
Or catch pneumonia
Standing in the rain
Just so long as
I never, never, never see you again

By the end of the song, the reason for the venom is revealed, and - of course - it's rejection:

I offered you everything
A new home
A new life
A new beginning
I offerd it all...
... and all I wanted in return was love

Girly vocals over a sparse background; if it wasn't for the bitter hate of the lyrics, you'd write it off as indie schmindie nonesense, perhaps missing the slightly more layered dark instrumentation that woud one day form the basis of Delgados entire output. Truly, one of the great lost songs, and perfect for the time between heartbreak's initial slap and the point where you come to cynical terms with it and stick the Tindersticks on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.