Wednesday, July 07, 2004

IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE, YOU WON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL: Shocked and horrified to discover that sometimes people on the internet can say nasty things about people and each other, George Michael has had a fit of the vapours and decided to close his official message boards.

He issued a statement about it, of course:

Hi everybody, this is George.
I'm afraid that, having visited the forums on a regular basis over the past few months, simply to see how you guys thought the album/ interviews/promotion were going, I have decided to close them down. As many of you will know, much of my reasoning for the future is to stay away from the negativity of the media, I think that it is bad for me and for music in general, so I find it really sad to see the forums so packed full of negative comment, and that so many genuinely positive fans find themselves defending me(or themselves) constantly against attack. How pointless. There are plenty of places to read people slagging each other off, but I wasn't trying to create one in opening the Forum. Those of you that want to carry on the media's work will have to do it somewhere else I suppose....
Things will stay the same for the next two weeks, so that those of you who have made friendships can decide which other sites to meet at, and then the rooms will close. I feel bad for those of you who have always been supportive, but I'm afraid I want nothing to do with the bitching that has evolved between some members, (many members), and perhaps unofficial sites will be a calmer affair.
Sorry guys, but that's the way it goes... Peace and Love...or nothing at all.


Ah, but you see... it's not actually people who dislike George, it's "people carrying on the media's work." We find it a bit disappointing that George can't accept that some people might not enjoy his later work (as in "everything since Wake Me Up Before You GoGo" later) and has decided to punish the entire class for the behaviour of a couple of naughty children. The decision to allow two weeks notice was probably a bit of a mistake: It's given room for it to not go down well in public. Not since the Ask The Family
board was axed, etc, etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.