Wednesday, August 04, 2004

BEENIE MAN DOES A 180: Following on from getting detained by police and having his UK tour pulled in light of his 'it's fun to kill gays' lyrics, Beenie Man has sort of apologised. Or rather, Virgin have stuck out a statement it says is in his words:

It has come to my attention that certain lyrics and recordings I have made in the past may have caused distress and outrage among people whose identities and lifestyles are different from my own.
While my lyrics are very personal, I do not write them with the intent of purposefully hurting or maligning others, and I offer my sincerest apologies to those who might have been offended, threatened or hurt by my songs.
As a human being, I renounce violence towards other human beings in every way, and pledge henceforth to uphold these values as I move forward in my career as an artist."


It's funny, you know, now we come to think of it, how could we have ever thought that "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica, come to execute all the gays" was intended to hurt or malign others - and the mere thought that "Some bwoy will go a jail fi kill man tun bad man chi chi man![...]Yuh see em to run off a stage like a clown, Kill Dem DJ!" was a call to kill gay DJs, simply because it said you should kill gay DJs. Poor, misunderstood Beenie Man. Outrage, of course, aren't taking a dog eared fax handled by some London PR types as being a genuine sign of contrition:

"Beenie Man's so-called apology is so vague that it does not even mention what he is apologising for. It could be an apology for anything," said Brett Lock of Outrage! "It contains no explicit regret for his incitements to murder gay people, and no specific affirmation of his respect for homosexuals and homosexual human rights."
Outrage! said it would continue its campaign against Beenie Man because he had not withdrawn the offending songs. "His apology rings hollow when he is still making money from his incitements to kill homosexuals," added Mr Lock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.