Sunday, May 06, 2007

Amy Lee: You're sacked - but don't tell anyone

After yesterday's description by John LeCompt of getting kicked out of Evanesence by Goth-Thatcher Amy Lee, now Rocky Gray has blogged about apparent attempts by Lee and her management to stop him doing the same:

"Amy Lee's management emailed me last night to tell me that, in their view, the contract I signed to record, perform and tour with the group says I'm not allowed to have any free speech in regard to Evanescence.

"They way they spin it, I'm not even allowed to say I quit the group, I guess. But the news is out there, so, there ya' go. I need to have a lawyer read over all that mess to tell me what, when and how I can tell you all- the REAL FANS- what really went down, if I ever can, haha."

Amy Lee, of course, is apparently the only person who she isn't trying to keep quiet. She's churned out a statement, too:
"Evanescence is alive and well. John and Rocky were in Evanescence for four years and we shared some great times together playing live, but they were ready to move on and so we have parted ways. Evanescence is something I have loved and nurtured since I was fourteen, and I will continue to protect and fight for it as I always have.

"Terry, Tim and I are very excited to play live with some amazing new musicians and we will rock harder than ever. Stay tuned for more news on that front. And don't worry about the tour, guys. Nothing will be cancelled and we will see you soon!"

It's not known if she delivered this statement, dressed in a wedding frock, from the top of a burning building, but we wouldn't be at all surprised.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so basically u feel that amy lee is like a bitch?? i love ha and the whole band... it's not rite but i think she did wat she had to do.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

No, I don't think Amy Lee is "a bitch", mainly because I'm not living in a 1980s soap opera. I think she's a remorseless operator who views her band as a small business rather than a artist's collective, and she will jettison friends and colleagues without compunction for the good of her businesses' bottom line.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I Disagree with you 'Simon h b'
i think that she doesn't veiw the band as a samll buisness, and thats the reason she sacked them
she loves the band too much to let anyone take that away from her
the band is HERS and HERS alone, and we all know that
she's been there from the beginning, and she wont let go of Evanecence withou a fight
sure i was upset, but i think that she did what she felt hat to be done, and THATS the bottom line.

Anonymous said...

special unique snowflake ~dark faerie~: Your attempt at logic is laughable, so thanks for that...if you think she doesn't view the band as a small business, you need to start by defending that opinion (you know, with "facts") rather than simply basing your other opinions on it.

How are these ex-members taking anything away from Lee? It sounds like she's the one taking away their freedom of speech; having to hire a lawyer to figure out whether and how you're allowed to say you quit is incredibly fucked up. If Simon's reporting of this business makes Lee come off as a "bitch", I'd say that--assuming everything he's reported is true--that's Lee's problem for acting like one.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

@darkfairie
This assumes, of course, that small business people can't love their enterprise.

If the band was "hers and hers alone", why did she not work as a solo artist? Or is it just she views the money as "hers and hers alone".

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.