Friday, July 11, 2008

Bookmarks: Some stuff to read on the internet

Martin Belam is embarking on a new series over on Currybetdotnet, attempting to fill the gaps left by pre-digital music's inexplicable failure to count most played tracks:

More than anything though, having that detailed play count for everything I'd listened to in the last two years showed up the lack of information I have about the previous 30-odd years of my listening history.

I really wish there was an XML file that detailed my listening habits from 'the year dot'.

And what a complex set of data it would be.

The way that I have assembled what we now call 'playlists', and the way I have organised my music listening has radically changed in my lifetime. This is not only due to me growing up and becoming more aware as a consumer, but also due to the different formats and different types of metadata that have been associated with music in the thirty-plus years that I have had an interest in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.