Saturday, February 19, 2005

GRUMPY OLD MEN: It's not like it was when I were a lad, it were all trees, you could buy a pint for a thrupenny bit; you can't tell if it's a boy or a girl on top of the pops there days... Bob Dylan doesn't like all this new music rubbish, and bangs on about it in his new programme notes on his current tour:

"I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviours of rock'n'roll and all that, but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from," he wrote, adding, “I wouldn't even think about playing music if I was born in these times... I'd probably turn to something like mathematics. That would interest me. Architecture would interest me. Something like that."

You know what, Bob? Why not go and do an architecture course. There's nothing worse than watching an old guy banging on about the shortcomings of the new generation. Especially when they're selling bloody glosssy programmes on their current tour. You leave a Bloc Party gig buzzing with the desire to go out and form or fuck a band. You leave a Bob Dylan gig with a glossy, 48-page souvenier programme. Says it all, really.

Maybe if you'd been a bit better with your follow-through, Bob, rock wouldn't even need a saviour.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I be the first to say: U R a Dylan h8TOR you doN't UNDERSTAND u leave a dylan GIG with an ahistorical FEELING of justice AND PROFUNDITTY. bob is g0D!!!!!!

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.