Thursday, January 25, 2007

Don't ask, don't tell, don't bother

Seemingly in a bid to keep his career options in the US, Mika is being tiresome about "keeping his sexuality private":

"I never talk about anything to do with my sexuality. I just don't think I need to. People ask me all the time. But I just don't see the point," he said, according to contactmusic.com

"In order to survive I've kind of shut up different parts of my life, and that's one of them, especially this early in my career.

"I don't really feel that it's necessary to know in terms of my music. Some people make records that are defined by their sexuality but mine really are not. It does play a lot with campness. It has a theatricality to it. Why not? It's pop music!"


Of course, the decision to come out or not is entirely up to the person involved, and, unless they're indulging in, say, queer-bashing from the warmth of their closet, there's no compulsion to lay your cards on the table.

But at the same time, there's something dispiriting about this attempt to play it both ways. If you really feel your sexuality isn't such a big deal, why blush like a Victorian maiden and hide behind your hands when the subject comes up? Apart from anything, we've never come across an example of a straight person doing the "well... you know, that's between me and partner" giggling non-reply yet.

[With the possible exception of Norm from Cheers in the episode where he was doing interior design, but that doesn't count.]

It's not exactly encouraging for young gays and bisexuals to see someone in 2007 still behaving as if liking people like you is a deadly secret to be ashamed of.

ShowBizSpy has clearly made up its own mind:

He was clasically trained at the Royal College of Music and has been favourably compared to Freddie Mercury, George Michael, Scissor Sisters, Rufus Wainwright, and Sir Elton John.

All they missed off that nudge-wink list was "Daffyd from Little Britain, and Big Gay Frank from the Gay Centre in Gaytown."


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.