Sunday, February 04, 2007

Bookmarks: Some other stuff to read

Harp interviews Johnny Marr as he joins Modest Mouse, the 1975th band he's played with:

HARP: I also heard that that when you were deliberating over joining the band, your son basically pulled you aside and said, “Dad, you have to do this.”
Marr: Well, I’d kind of made up my mind [when that happened]. I was talking to them about being on tour. I was saying, “This record might keep me away next year. What do you think?” And he was like, “What are you even asking me for? It’s Modest Mouse. Go do it.”


The New York Times asks why indie music is almost painfully white, and if that's starting to change:
“For a long time I was laughed at by both black and white people about being the only black person in my school that liked Nirvana and bands like that,” said Mr. Martin, now 23, who lives in Seattle, where he is recording a folk-rock album.


Anthony Thornton's Serenade This considers The Libertine's legacy:
"The whole guerilla gigging thing was quickly appropriated and exploited as just another marketing tool by music marketing execs; in about six months squeezing the life out of something that was originally exciting, passionate and spontaneous. I mean when you’ve got Embrace doing a ‘guerilla gig’ in the Big Brother house, you know it’s over."


Skatterbrain's Court of Twee and readers attempts to pin down what "twee" means:
"Sensitive" by The Field Mice. The idea of that song, basically being militantly sensitive and proud of it, is kind of revolutionary.


The Onion AV Club chooses eight songs about sexual dysfuntion, but misses out on Kinky Machine's opposite-of-majestic Ten Second Bionic Man, which surely - with its suggestion that his partner doesn't bother extinguishing her fag before sex - is the key work? Anyway, they do pick Stutter:
"Is there something you lack when I'm flat on my back?" Frischmann asks with a smirk, subverting the power structure of the traditional rock song and throwing it back in men's faces. Then comes the dagger: "Is it just that I'm much too much for you?" Even Mick Jagger would hide under the covers after hearing that.


1 comment:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.