Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mother, fetch the bunting from under the bed - it's time for a street party

Sometimes, you have to read things twice to make sure the news you're reading is every bit as good as you think. To save you the trouble, we'll just write this twice:

Jay Kay has quit music
Jay Kay has quit music
.

There's a statement for you to savour:

"I haven't been happy there for a while," Jay admitted. "I've had some ups and downs but in the end the downs were just too many. When we talked about me leaving, I jumped at the chance."

"I might be back if I get my inspiration again, but who knows," he told [3AM]. "I'm bored. I don't want to go back on the road. We all need a rest to be honest. I don't need the money or a deal. One minute I would be promoting a single with one team and the next they brought different people in and expected me to go along with it.

"There was no way in hell I was doing that. I'm just tired of the format and wanted to call it a day with them."

Yes, so low had Kay's star sunk that he was reduced to "breaking" the news through the 3AM Girl's column - presumably Newsround would have been the next port of call.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm rather freaked at your choice of title - I posted this story on a local forum with the thread title "Bunting! Street Parties! General Glee!"

Either you nicked my title from a tiny, obscure and dying Sheffield music forum (unlikely) or the long-awaited fucking-off of the Twat in the Hat does something to the psyche which inspires thoughts of jubilee style celebrations.

Mikey said...

OK, so Jay Kay is calling it a day: Do you think Jamiroquai will be bravely soldiering on without him?

Maybe they could poach Mick Hucknall from Simply Red.

And Simly Red could make a shock transfer bid for, ooh - I dunno: Duncan James out of 'Simply Fuck off on Ice'

eyetie said...

Jamiroquai: "music for deaf people". They could always draft in someone who won't get distracted by dippy blondes yet knows a lot about recent releases, pop stardom and getting down with the kids. Jay Kay, make way for the real JK: Jonathan King.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

Markie - I think it's the latter. We've had paper cups and plates printed up for the occasion for a long time.

But, it seems, when may have opened the jeroboam too soon:
http://xrrf.blogspot.com/2007/02/street-party-falls-silent.html

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.