Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A smaller gang: Allen and Burnhamm quit

The Gang of Four are now a a Gang of Two as bassist Dave Allen and drummer Hugo Burnham decide they've had enough of being post-punk heroes. Official statementing has been made:

Allen says, “At the beginning of April, I decided that I could no longer continue to be a member of Gang of Four. My ability to give 100% to the band is limited and I feel that if I can’t do so, then I shouldn’t continue. As I expand my research and thinking about contemporary music distribution on Pampelmoose (Allen’s popular blog), and as I focus on online technology and social networking at Nemo Design here in Portland, I find myself conflicted about how the band’s new music should be released. To retain any credibility for Pampelmoose about what the future of music distribution will look like, I have to move on and not hold back Jon and Andy’s music plans. I have had a side project for a while now with John Askew of Tracker and Menomena drummer Danny Stein called Faux-Hoax (pronounced Folks), and I look forward to fun times finding ways to get our music into peoples’ hands in unique ways.”

Burnham writes, “It was a great couple of years of intermittently reminding people old and new, far and wide just how powerful the original four of us were together. Age only increased our power and focus onstage, and it was a rare pleasure to work with the original band once again. Being in a band requires handling the business side of it too, and that became boring and the constant travel became debilitating. I am soon to start my Doctorate, as well as broadening my teaching at more than one college here."

Yes, Burnham has dropped out of a punk band to try his luck with school. Is that the right way round?


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.