Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It's what he would have wanted, as well

In a bid to try and make "Michael Jackson fan" look perpetually like a euphemism for needing a bit of extra help to do everyday things, some of them are pushing for Michael Jackson to appear on the shortlist for this year's Nobel prizes.

Now, you could perhaps see a case being essayed for a physics prize - moonwalking defies all the laws of the physical world; or at least sort-of looks like it might until you slow down the video.

Physiology? He certainly broke new ground there.

Even literature would have a slim case - there was an autobiography, wasn't there?

But no: they're going for the peace prize.

The peace prize.

One of the letters, written by Los Angeles student Anneliese Nichole Brown, pleads: "Michael's message for humankind has always been rooted in compassion and kindness.

"He has succeeded in a lifelong dedication to the well-being of humanity. Moving beyond all political, social and economic borders, Michael Jackson consistently spread a positive message of global unity, healing and love."

Well, he was consistent in his message, in a "give me a couple of months and I'll get together some sort of tribute act to help in the face of a natural or man-made disaster. Or a few months. I'll be in touch, honest."

But has his message for humankind really "always" been rooted in compassion?

Billie Jean is not my lover; there are zombies crawling up my leg; here, young man, take this large sum of money and never again mention that I may or may not have touched your winkle; I'm bad, I'm bad, I'm really, really bad; I am going to play your gig; oh, I am not going to play your gig.

It's not a totally convincing cascade of a compassionate message, although he did do the song to the rat which Esther Rantzen used to soundtrack a campaign about a sick kiddie.

But I can't help feeling that the Nobel people might be looking for something a little more solid.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the used's new video for "blood on my hands" comes out TODAY on myspace and theused.net! it looks sick, check out the teaser:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=60855078

Olive said...

But I can't help feeling that the Nobel people might be looking for something a little more solid.

Well, they've given it to Henry Kissinger and Mother Teresa in the past, so they're not exactly picky.

Vodkis said...

Surely the Nobel prizes aren't awarded posthumously?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.