Monday, September 14, 2009

Morrissey denies giving Rouke his cards by card

Morrissey is not happy.

He's never happy. But this time he's not happy with Andy Rourke again:

I am forced to defend myself - again - from a comment made by Andy Rourke last week on the eyeweekly website. It is a recurring comment whereby Andy confirms that his dismissal from the Smiths was made via a handwritten postcard from me telling Andy "you have left the Smiths."

I would like to state to anyone interested in the truth of this matter that no such postcard was ever written by me, and no dismissal postcard was ever placed on Andy's car with my knowledge or consent, and I am naturally irked that such an alleged deed has gone down in the fairy tale footnotes of Smiths lore. If such a postcard ever existed, it is likely that an unfunny stunt was played on Andy by someone attempting Morrissey-scrawl - easily done. Secondly, Andy's "dismissal" from the Smiths would not be a decision solely made by me, and would not be announced by me on a note bearing only my name, and it would also not be executed by a handwritten note carelessly thrown onto the hood of a car (or window-wipers, as has often been reported.)
Doesn't anyone have the wit to work this one out ?

I love the idea that there was someone going round forging grumpy Morrissey postcards. I once saw my flatmate being told that "everyone in Liverpool" had a signed copy of Meat Is Murder - this at a second-hand record shop, obviously - so perhaps he's on to something.

It does seem a little much that Mozzer feels the need to defend himself against the claim - given that the courts decided he diddled Rourke and Joyce out of funds, that a judge described him as "untrustworthy" and that Morrissey is on record as having said he regarded Rourke as like a part in a lawnmower, there's not a great deal ofglory to be wrung from being right on this one.


2 comments:

Kel said...

... and was he being told by the fella in the second-hand record shop this in order to lower the price your flatmate was hoping to get for said record? did he sell and does he regret doing so? we must no etc!... - elvis.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

Pretty much spot on, except it was a she, and she was desperate for fags, so she sold. Experiencing seller's regret almost immediately.

And, yes, it went into the bins at a massive mark-up.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.