Saturday, April 07, 2012

The illustrated Friends: ... of a friend of a friend

The heart of the song:

I'm a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend
I'm a friend of a friend but you don't know me
I'm a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend
And if I come on the night
Can I get in free?
So really, these characters aren't real friendships at all, are they? They're names being dropped at a door in a bid to wangle a free guestlist slot.

In effect, then, Friends is the spiritual father of this, from Kicks Like A Mule:


But also has a passing affinity with The Pooh Stick's On Tape:

(Possibly the only time that Mr Pastry and Mighty Mighty could have something in common.)

But perhaps we should take this chance to pay a small tribute to the greatest ligger of them all; a man who turned up at so many events it was rumoured that his gravestone would have "Here lies Pete Wylie +1" on it. (And, incidentally, the man who lived next door to me when I first started writing this blog).

Let's start with Pete Wylie doing a tour of Liverpool for the Oxford Road Show:

And here's a more recent (though that recent) performance of Story Of The Blues, while he was part of Dead Men Walking:


[Buy: The Mighty Wah: Songs Of Strength and Heartbreak]
[Part of the illustrated Friends]


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.