Sunday, May 06, 2012

Rockobit: Rob Doherty

Rob Doherty, former guitarist with Into Eternity and leader of Final Darkness, has died.

Doherty was with Into Eternity between 2003 and 2006, appearing on the Buried In Oblivion album. His departure from the band wasn't, it should be noted, by mutual consent, as he revealed at the time:

"I have moved from Regina after our last tour 'cause I needed to work. I had three songs written for the next disc and a bunch of riffs Tim [Roth, guitar/vocals] and I worked out. I had been waiting for these shows and for some sort of solid confirmation. This never happened. I flew home and gave the band the gear from my house and all seemed fine. The next thing I know the band has a replacement for me...

"I have given all to this band for two years with the promise of becoming a full-time member business-wise. I guess what I'm sayin' is if I am to be a hired gun then I need to be paid. I cannot pay my bills on the hopes that everything will just work out. I cannot rely on 'IF we sell merch' as a form of payment....

"I did this for two years and proved that I am into it. I play my ass off every night as hard as I can and love it!!! But the fact is we are on the road a lot and if we are gonna be out that much, there needs to be a buisness plan to look after shit back home."
Doherty's own band, Final Darkness, released their debut album towards the end of 2011.

No details on his death - beyond its suddenness, and unexpectedness - have been made public; fans are being invited to share memories on the band's Facebook site.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.