Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A letter to The Guardian, illustrated

Catatonia, 1999:

Storm the palace

You can stick you obe
I'll sort out your bad Feng Shui
'Cos tourism is congestion
Tourism is congestion
Cerys Matthews, 2014:
"Sorry, did I say stick you OBE? I meant stick your MBE on my lapel. And I literally meant I'd sort out your bad feng shui - I've moved your animal statues into the money corners of the palace. Which is all of them. And now we can talk about a ticketing system to ease the congestion of tourism..."

Inspired by this letter from yesterday's Guardian:
Lovely photo of Cerys Matthews receiving her award at Buckingham Palace (Medal citizen, 22 November.) Would this be the same palace which we were urged to storm in the song on Catatonia’s album Equally Cursed and Blessed, the lyrics of which included the line “You can stick your OBE”?
Jim Naylon
Stonesfield, Oxfordshire


1 comment:

Robin Carmody said...

For those of us who never bought the idea that Catatonia were The Right Kind Of Working Class and Artful Dodger and DJ Luck & MC Neat The Wrong Kind Of Working Class, this feels like some sort of grim indictment.

Will it be Jarvis Cocker next?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.