Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Justin Timberlake: too busy to make music

It's getting on for three years since Justin Timberlake made an album, and, he tells Entertainment Weekly, he doesn't intend to make one soon, either. Why?

Oh, because it's an effort:

"Right now, I like the idea that things can just kind of pop up and if they feel right I can do them," says Timberlake. "Committing to my own sort of project, that’s like, 'Okay, let me block out two years of my life and do it.' I was heavily fulfilled with the last one and I always have this thing with myself that if I can’t sleep because I need to do it, then I’m gonna do it. But if I’m not losing sleep over it then…"

In a way, I can admire that "make no art unless the not making it becomes unbearable" approach - how much happier a music world would be in if people only made records that the not making thereof kept them awake at night?

But at the same time: you're a bloody singer, Timberlake. Yes, it might mean you have to spend two years working on a 'project' (although, frankly, you could knock one out in three months if you wanted) but that's your job. You chose the job. You signed on for it. It's not like anyone's asking you to spend two years digging coal, or helping old ladies who have soiled their bedclothes. It's a little bit of singing, perhaps a few concert appearances, doing some light banter with Jay Leno - you can even have weekends and evenings off. Most of the time. Don't expect us to start sobbing into our Kleenex because you think making a record is some sort of onerous task, Timbo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.