Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gordon in the morning: Drumming up interest

Tony McCarroll is flogging the drumkit he used when he was in Oasis, and Gordon is happy to help:

He told me: "I've never taken advantage of the Oasis connections over the years. There have been a lot of offers and opportunities but I just never felt the need to.

"I've been living a really normal life, nothing much has been going on.

"I've been looking into DJing with Clint Boon.

"I heard a rumour Wayne Rooney was interested in buying the drum kit and thought that might be better than leaving it in storage."
Tony has never taken advantage of the Oasis connections. Obviously, you have to pretend he never sued the band nor wrote a book called Oasis: The Truth, but it's a pretty impressive claim.

What's odd, though, is the apparent chronology of this story: if you take it as gospel, Wayne Rooney was apparently going round saying 'you know what, for some reason I was thinking I'd quite like to buy Tony McCarroll's old drums, if they ever came on the market'. It's not impossible.

But if Wayne Rooney's interest was the spark which made Tony think 'I could flog them', why would you put them on auction site rather than ring up Wayne Rooney and invite him to make an offer?

McCarroll is lucky, though - according to Oasis myth, he fell out with Noel when Gallagher refused to spend Creation equipment money on bits for the drumkit, making Tony spend his own cash. Had Noel shared that cash, he'd probably be after Tony now for a percentage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.