Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Give me back my Give Me Back My Heart

As our thoughts turn to Valentine's Day, what, you might find yourself wondering, is the 69th best love song ever?

Happily, the New York Daily News can help you out, there. It's Vision of Love, by Mariah Carey.

At least, that's according to their 100 Greatest Love Songs of all time. Not sexiest, they're quick to stress - this isn't about wrapping yourself in naked, getting chained to the wall while your naked arse is spanked to within an inch of steak tartare. Oh, no. This is romantic, slushy, "I've booked a table for two at Red Lobster, and we don't even have to stick to house wine" stuff, compiled using science:

Eligible songs had to have endured at least a decade in the public consciousness, if not two or three. And they had to have been popular enough to have ranked among the top 20 pop songs in whatever year they were released.

So, here's the top ten:

1. "My Girl" The Temptations
2. "I'll Be There" The Jackson 5
3. "Wonderful Tonight" Eric Clapton
4. "I Just Called to Say I Love You" Stevie Wonder
5. "You Are So Beautiful" Joe Cocker
6. "In My Life" The Beatles
7. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Roberta Flack
8. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" Elvis Presley
9. "Michelle" The Beatles
10. "I Can't Stop Loving You" Ray Charles

In My Life the most romantic Beatles song? Cocker's old croaky tune? Wonderful cowing Tonight? Good lord, this isn't even table-for-two-at-Red-Lobster; it's more "I might see you at Taco Bell if I get out the strip joint early."

I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU? Romantic?

Further down the list, there's Take On Me by A-Ha. Which, while a great pop song, hardly constitutes one of the most romantic, does it?


2 comments:

Spence said...

Well, the A-ha vid was quite romantic. In-a-falling-in-love-with-a-cartoon kinda way.

Although "Take on me, take me on, I'll be gone in a day or two" doesn't really make much sense romantically or otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Choosing the right perfume can be difficult and because it is also considered an intimate gift buying the wrong

perfume can backfire on you and get you the opposite result of that which you hoped for.

The first thing you need to do is do some homework, meaning research. Look at your lady's perfume bottles, the ones

that are nearly empty will be her favorites. If there is one there that is nearly full chances are she doesn't wear

it often or doesn't like it. Hint around and ask her what types of fragrances she likes and dislikes.

Humans are very sensory oriented and our sense of smell is no different. Certain perfumes can elicit strong

reactions in both the wearer and the person reacting to the scent. Perfumes are made not only to attract but to also

relax someone. If you aren't totally sure what kind of perfume to buy you can always play it safe and get something

in the aromatherapy line. If you go this route, bear in mind that vanilla scents are considered to relax and a

peppermint or lemon scent will be more stimulating.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.