Sunday, March 28, 2004

YOU’D NOT CATCH ME IN A TIGHT SWEATER, OH NO: Thank god someone’s prepared to stand up and say “enough’s enough” when it comes to raunchy pop stars. Jessica Simpson has had enough of Britney Boob-tube who, shockingly, has a sexy image:

"You don't need to be going there unless your career is based on that sort of thing, and mine certainly isn't.Unfortunately, in today's society, you have to be everything, and sex sells. I think she knows what works for her and what's gotten her to where she is right now. I don't think we see eye-to-eye on the situation, because for me, I would rather sell my music. I don't want it to be about my sexuality.”

It’s a difficult thing to stand up and be counted in this high-pressure music world, and so we’d like to applaud Jessica’s decision to not be sold on her sexuality. But we’re not sure she should be setting her sights on Britney as the worst offender - how about going after the pop strumpet who gave this interview:

Are you shooting for a sexier image with this album?
Well, it’s not like I sat down and said, “I’ve got to change my image.” I’m just more grown-up now, and I’ve become more sophisticated. I don’t think I’m any different than any other 21-year-old.
Do you feel sexier?
My sexiness comes from a newfound confidence. When you’re younger, you struggle with self-esteem, especially when pictures of you are everywhere. Once you feel that you’ve grown into your body and your mind, your confidence level goes a lot higher. I think my sexiness exudes from that. There are always people who think, Oh, that’s too sexy, and others that think, Oh, it’s not sexy enough. But it’s most important to satisfy yourself.
Do you think [your parents] attitudes might have had something to do with the fact that you developed early?
I remember when I was in fifth or sixth grade, my mom was, like, “Jessica, you have to wear a bra,” and I’d say, “But people are going to make fun of me!” So I’d wear a sports bra, all the way until junior high. Then I couldn’t hide them anymore. Guys would talk to me and never look me in the face. And they still keep me from wearing things that I’d like to. I just can’t fit into some things without showing too much cleavage.
Are you comfortable around men?
In general I like hanging out with guys more than girls. Guys are never competitive with you or giving you the evil eye from across the room. I’m kind of the opposite of most girls, because when I’m going out with other girls I have to wear my best outfit and a push-up bra. If I’m hanging out with a guy, I can throw on old jeans and a sweatshirt and be totally comfortable.


That would have been, of course, Jessica Simpson carefully not basing her career on “that sort of thing” in Maxim:

thank god she’s not selling herself on her body


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.