Sunday, February 06, 2005

DOHERTY: THE BALLAD OF PENTONVILLE JAIL: As if the number of people pushing themselves forward to throw cash into the hands of Pete Doherty weren't already high enough to keep him more tha high enough, publishers are jousting each other to get a look at his poetry. Sniffing a quick cash-in, apparently Snipcock and Tweed et al have heard that Pete's been writing poems since he was a teenager. Poet Roddy Lumsden reckons it's be a good call for any imprint:

"I certainly know he's got a lot of fans who would lap up his stuff.

"I used to see him around on the performance poetry scene and he was quite good. He's very lively and he can write. He's definitely a talented lyricist. I teach poetry at City University and one of the lads in my class was inspired to come along because Pete's lyrics got him into being a writer. I'm introducing this young guy to lots of other stuff now."


And it might allow people to stop calling him a drug-addled waster in the mould of Sid Vicious, and move on to calling him a drug-addled water in the mould of Rimbaud.


1 comment:

M.C. Glammer said...

I'd get right onto it, but I'm trying to wean myself off him.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.