Monday, February 07, 2005

MARDI GRAS SIGHTINGS: This comes from Daisy, trading these days as I Still Have A Snake, who went last Wednesday to a New Orleans celebration. Although she didn't see James Bond attempting to chase a SMERSH agent through a throng of people with large paper maiche heads, she did get to see something even more astonishing:

So last night I went to three different Mardi Gras parades. The middle one was Muses, an all-female krewe that's famous for their shoe theme, like one float has a gigantic shoe on it with parade ladies popping out of it, and there's a giant bathtub float with girls in bubbles throwing beads out of it.

Their theme this year was TV shows, so each float was a TV parody, like one was "Buffy the Flying Cockroach Slayer." Some krewes do band or movie or political parodies instead, so I wasn't really paying much attention when I came back from the bathroom and Jeff said, "Look, it's the Go-Gos." There was a float stopped right in front of us, but it didn't look like a Go-Gos parody to me. It was four or five middle-aged women in pink and purple wigs. I said, "What makes you think it's the Go-Gos?" and craned my neck to see the float's title. Jeff said, "No, dude, it's the REAL Go-Gos."

I didn't believe him at first, but then I realized he was right and I was totally starstruck. They were all standing two feet in front of me; I could have had a conversation with any one of them but I couldn't think of anything to say. "Look, that's Belinda," said Jeff, "and that's Jane." Another one, whom we couldn't immediately identify, was giving beads to the kids in front of us. "Are you going to get an A on your spelling test?" she asked. "Yeah," the kids droned, accepting their beads. "Give us a football." They were unaware of the ladies' celebrity status.




We're not quite sure if this counts as 'pop stars in reduced circumstances' or not; we suspect it's just the sort of thing that The Go-Gos like to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.