Tuesday, March 15, 2005

COURT DATE

What are you doing Thursday? You could, if you were in Detroit, nip down to Room 858 of the Theodore Levin Courthouse and watch the MC5 legal spat makes it to the frontend of a judge. This is, of course, the case where the estate of Rob Tyner are suing the surviving members of the band over the copyright on the songs. This is what Patti Smith had to say about the case recently in the Chicago Sun-Times:

Q. There's been quite a bit of controversy in Chicago between filmmakers David Thomas and Laurel Legler and the surviving members of the MC5, particularly Wayne Kramer, who are blocking the release of their film, "MC5: A True Testimonial." You were married to the late MC5 guitarist Fred "Sonic" Smith. Where do you stand on the issue?

A. I feel very sad about it. I haven't seen the film, but my son has seen it. He thinks it's great. He really wanted to see it come out. I mean, I've done everything that I can legally do to help them. The MC5 era was before my time, so I know very little about it, except that I hope that the filmmakers get a chance to distribute their film. I don't have very much respect for Wayne Kramer as a human being, so I can't really make any judgment. I haven't found him to be an honorable person. I shouldn't comment on it because I haven't seen the film, but I take my son's word that it was good and good for his dad.

They were a great band and they should be remembered. And they should be remembered together. This film is a very good opportunity to give them recognition. I don't understand why he would want to block it except for monetary reasons. The only reason I haven't seen it is just it's hard for me to watch Fred. It's just painful.


With the judges involved, it's almost certain to get panful for everyone now. Except for the lawyers, set to make an extra car or two out of it. Ironic that the MC5 legacy is going to be pissed away on legal actions. Muthafukers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Patti.

You know he wants the world to love him, then he goes and spoils it all...

Anonymous said...

How stupid and overrated that hairy manly no-talent jusdgemental no singing groupie Patti is. She can't comment on a film she's never seen, but she can comment on a person she doesn't know? Bitter bitch.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.