Tuesday, April 12, 2005

ELECTION TRAIL SINGER SHOE-HORNS IN CATCHPHRASE

If we lived in Detroit, we'd probably vote for Martha Reeves, who is running for council there at the moment. Even if her platform is, well, a little vague:

"I think I've had a very good opportunity to travel the world and to observe things. I've always been a good team player and I figure I'll be an asset on our city council in Detroit.

"I'd like to start with the schools and have them, you know, sort of scrutinised and have them get a better understanding of how to educate our children."


Rumours that Michael Howard is now wishing he'd added "Sort of scrutinise schools" to the front page of the Tory election manifesto are frankly made up; really, they don't want to be tying themselves down to that sort of pledge at this point.

But it's no good being Martha Reeves if you can't work in the song title, is it? Luckily, on the stump, her inspiration didn't let her down:

"I think that our city council could probably get along better if they had a little music. And I'll get them to dance in the streets."


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.