Tuesday, February 21, 2006

LL COOL J WANTS CLASSIER LADIES

The growing sense of a musical genre reaching maturity is starting to surround hip-hop these days - perhaps it's Kanye West's influence? Now, Ladies Love Cool James has called for an end to hip hop videos which degrade women:

"I think that there's more room in the videos for women to be portrayed in a better way, like, classy. I don't mean that they can't be beautiful - can't wear swimsuits, can't wear bikinis - (but) I don't think that every woman has to be a stripper in every video.

"When you have three daughters and you're sitting there watching the video channel and every girl that's on there is like a stripper... I don't think that we have to tell them that this is all there is for you to do in order for you to make it."


Of course, LL is right, but you have to wonder who's responsible for this attitude in the first place?
Could it be songs like, say, Put Your Hands Up:

Hoes I had give better blows than Felix Trinidad
One I had flew her Benz in from Baghdad
with personalized tags, chrome mags and Prada bags
I refused to stab, now she cryin in the rehab
Wishin while reminiscin about all the sessions we had
You knew all the positions to keep me on a mission
Put the Playstation 2 in your Limited Expedition
You're the mami I kept dipped, slept wit, crept wit
Once you got needy and greedy sweetie I flipped like a brick


Or perhaps the respect shown in This Is Us:

They say a man gon' be a man, but that's only half the scenario
You nag a cat, you givin him a license to fuck a hoe
When a man come home late, he want his girl to say hello
Not hear all that bullshit, bout, "Nigga where you go?"
Fried chicken ready, t-shirt and panties at the stove
Messages written down, blunt rolled ready to go
Give me a hug, not too long, give me space
When a cat got issues don't need you all up in his face
Rub your breasts, kick back, smile a little
If it's rainin outside, chill, listen to the drizzle
Now kiss my chest, call me Superman
Pull down my boxers by the Calvin Klein band
wash it, enjoy the flavor, I return the favor
This behavior, should save ya
from me all night freakin, with a nineteen year-old
half naked Puerto Rican, creamy ass leakin
Every man will agree, when she nag it's killin me


... but perhaps LL doesn't worry about what he's rapping; or perhaps its not an issue for other people's daughters.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was Lads Love Cool James? Or was that some scurrilous Holy Moly gossip a while back?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.