Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rock sick list: Butler and Platter

Get well soons to Win Butler, recovering from surgery designed to sort out his sinus problems prior to the Arcade Fire's US tour:

"Just wanted to let you all know that the surgery was successful, and I am recovering nicely. I will probably start singing again this week some time to try and get ready for the shows in North America. "It has been a blessing in disguise to be forced to stay at home and read, and sleep and I have even started work on some new songs."

And all the best to Curtis Bridgeforth. He's been HIV+ for 17 years, and is stepping down from The Platters as he's developed diabetes (apparently a cruel side effect of his HIV mdeication). He's released a statement:
"I found out in 1990 that I was HIV positive and I've been living with HIV for the last 17 years.

"Then two years ago, after suddenly losing 20 pounds and 30 percent of my eyesight, I learned that I had diabetes, in all probability stemming from my HIV medication.

"Right now, my sugar count and cholesterol count are dangerously high, so to prevent a major heart attack or stroke, as well as deal with the HIV issue, I need to seek treatment in New York. There is a program offered there for people like me who don't have health insurance.

"Ninety-nine per cent of the people I work with every night knew nothing of my HIV until now, although our management company has been aware since 2003. I don't want to hide it anymore - I'm an example of how to survive it and maybe I can help other people in the same situation.

"After I get my health in check, I want to come back to performing. I've already been offered some opportunities. The most important thing I do on this planet is sing to people - I can make people smile and that's a God-given gift."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I regret to inform you that Curits Bridgeforth died on May 24, 2007 a.m. in New York. His death was due to a bone infection that started after some dental work he had done in his home town of Las Vegas, NV. We miss him dearly.
Cbridgeforth Foundation Staff.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.