Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Something interesting happens on The Jo Whiley Show

It's not often you can say that these days, unless you find the by-now-inevitable "unlikely" cover version surprising ("ha! You are an indie rock band and yet you have played a song by a chart pop act. Are my expectations now confounded...") but yesterday, while reading a text from Kent out, Jo slipped and said "East Cunt Cup."

Okay, there should perhaps be an "almost" in the heading on this post.

The Sun, though, thinks a fairly obvious slip of the tongue is a major news story:

Listener Tony Griffiths, 23, from Folkestone, Kent, said: “At first I couldn’t believe my ears.”

There's absolutely no explanation of who Griffiths is, or even any indication of what happened when he did believe his ears - was he then shocked, horrified, amazed, delighted? Or maybe even a little bit turned on ("talk dirty to me Jo, before playing an exclusive first spin of a new Corinne Bailey Rae track")?

We're not even sure what he means by "at first" - as if Jo had embarked on a foul-mouthed rant that went on for several minutes, and it took a while for him to realise she really was doing it. Because otherwise he must mean "at first I couldn't believe my ears and then she put a record on." Which is even more lame.


3 comments:

James said...

"Radio 1 said: “Jo had a slip of the tongue. No offence was intended”"

Thank goodness for their new press officer, Statey McObvious. Before I read that, I'd spent the previous 16 hours trying to book tickets for the East Cunt Cup.

Is it me, or do Ticketmaster call-centre workers get quite snappy after the sixth or seventh call?

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

They probably thought you wanted them to flog on eBay...

James said...

Drat. And I was so keen to try out their new bargain-price service which let me book, download and print out my own ticket for just two pounds as well.

Do you think for an extra 50p they'd let me pop round and empty their bins for them too?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.