Monday, May 14, 2007

Allen decides to abandon role-modelling

We've never quite bought Lily Allen's protesting-too-much about body size schtick: it's always been somewhat laughable that the slim Ms Allen has tried to suggest that she's a normal body shape. Sure, she's closer to an average size than Cheryl Tweedy, but the way she's always spoken of herself as if she was only a Jammy Dodger away from turning into Beth Ditto has always smelled of publicity seeking rather than honest self-assessment.

Even so, her I'm fat post brings us no pleasure:

"Fat, ugly and shitter than Winehouse - that is all I am. I'm on my own in America again.

"I used to pride myself on being strong-minded and not being some stupid girl obsessed with the way I look. I felt like it didn't matter if I was a bit chubby 'cos I'm not a model, I'm a singer.

"I'm afraid I am not strong and have fallen victim to the evil machine. I write to you in a sea of tears from my hotel bed in Seattle. I have spent the past hour researching gastric bypass surgery and laser liposuction."

The trouble with taking up the banner to fight for the outsiders is that, even if you're only really doing it as a marketing ploy, you might find yourself identifying with those outsiders a little too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.