Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Trent doesn't care how many records he sells

It might be kind of obvious from his embrace of industrial metal and songs about buggering pigs and S&M imagery, but Trent Reznor isn't exactly in it for the sales:

I felt very strongly about the whole process of this record. I didn't care if it had singles on it, or got played on the radio; I don't care about MTV... at all. I don't care about how many records I sell — I mean, I hope people like the record and I hope people get the record, but I'm not doing this just to make a product that fits into a mould that a record label would like to make, there's enough people doing that. I don't feel like doing it [laughs] so I approached the whole thing with a kind of 'Fuck it, I'm going to do what I think is cool.' And some of it was... every time I sat down I was concerned about someone preaching to me, 'It has to have a strong melody, it has to have a bridge and...' Fuck all that. It has that button and it makes a noise that sounds cool to me. Nothing wrong with that."

Presumably this is just his way of ruling himself out the next series of Dancing With The Stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.