Sunday, January 23, 2011

Byrne to Gove: Start making sense

David Byrne isn't the first person to point out that Michael Gove is making education rubbish, and he certainly won't be the last. But he is the most famous American to do so, so far:

"I think it has already been proven that arts education in schools benefits areas beyond the arts," Byrne said. "To cut in that way is narrow-minded. It is not about how many artists you produce, it is about what it does to the thinking of everyone else."

"School is how I found art," Byrne went on. "I had an art teacher who would encourage me and didn't tell me what to do. He would give me a pass to say I didn't have to go to gym class if I had something I was trying to finish. I realised it was a way to discover things about myself and a solace."
Ah, Michael Gove would counter, but can you name the consort to the third Tudor Monarch?


2 comments:

Robin Carmody said...

Of course, the real reason why children generally don't know the things Gove wants them to know is the tyranny of the market economy, which he would be the very last person to challenge.

Anonymous said...

Byrne is Scottish though.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.