Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bookmarks - Internet stuff: Brits 2011 & Grammys

Lovely piece over on Sweeping The Nation about the "I do not know this band so how can they have won a prize" reaction to the prize givings this week:

I've never heard of this. Ergo, it cannot be worthwhile. Therefore, everyone else is wrong and I have the only sane voice. HOW AM I EVER SUPPOSED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS BAND (THAT WAS DEEMED WORTHY OF EVEN BEING NOMINATED FOR THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS PRIZES IN BRITISH MUSIC). The idea that 'I don't know them, it must be shit' is dispiriting and simultaneously fascinating as as examination of self-belief driven insularity and the desire to never learn anything for yourself when it can be spoonfed by language instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.