Friday, October 14, 2011

Noel Gallagher: The showman speaks

Given that you're going to hear the Southern Fried Birds, I suppose nobody going to see Noel Gallagher's solo shows would be expecting to be entertained, but Noel is keen to stress just how dull the events will be:

He told BBC Radio 2: "I've got nothing to say to these people who are coming to see me apart from this song is called... I'm not really into audience participation. I wouldn't come down and look down at your computer while you're at work.
"They're here to listen to the music. You clap, I sing, good night, the end."
I guess the discovery that Noel Gallagher has nothing to say beyond the name of the songs shouldn't come as a surprise - his interviews are mostly acres of space dedicated to a man with nothing to say.

But how curious that he equates playing the songs he supposedly loves as being like doing a simple data-entry task. Perhaps if he really feels that way, he could just boil it down a little further: you buy a ticket to a Noel Gallagher gig, and instead of having to go and look at him - for who watches a person at work in other circumstances? - you just get a report of how well the songs were played sent to you by email the following day.


5 comments:

Peter D said...

As much as I dislike the mans music, that's probably more than Biffy Clyro give, I have seen them regularly live over the years and probably last year if I didn't know otherwise would I have been able to ascertain that they were Scottish.

Mikey said...

If there's no performance aspect wouldn't Noel's 'fans' be better off saving themselves the price of a pliable container of beer and a bus ticket and just buy the CD?

simon h b said...

I'm also amused that he's not expecting any reaction beyond a bit of clapping. I suspect the look of mild disappoint may be added as a contractual obligation.

Peter D said...

Maybe he is expecting shuffling from foot to foot and people not being able to look him directly in the eye when he asks if people are having a good time.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that in the Radio 2 trailer for his impending concert Jo Whiley describes him as "one of Britain's most eloquent songwriters" - I wondered if she had just got an ironic dictionary for her birthday and was trying it out.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.