Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bookmarks: Sly And The Family Stone

Cynthia Robinson, founding member of the Family Stone, talks to NPR about the process of putting the band together:

Stone himself acknowledged in a 2009 interview with KCRW that he had in mind a mix of race and gender. That mission wasn't always easy: Jerry Martini says he remembers a point when Stone was pressured by the Black Panthers to kick the white members out of the band.

"I was in the airport when they approached and they told me to get ... out of the way," Martini says. "Sly always, always stood up for me, and in many instances, he saved my butt. When I got hit a couple times ... he just stood there ready to fight."


1 comment:

Jeff Kaliss said...

For more history and fun, read the only authorized biography, "I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly & The Family Stone" (Backbeat Books, 2008), by me, Jeff Kaliss.

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.