Sunday, October 09, 2005

THE GIRL HE LEFT BEHIND

There's a not-especially-fascinating story in today's Sunday Mirror where Evelina Roos flogs her story to the paper ("tells all about the Pet Doherty she knew.") It seems she knew Pete when he was gawky, insecure nobody, and actually got briefly engaged to him for a short while. If she's recalling his proposal accurately, the NME should retropsectively strip him of his Cool Icon award from last year:

"Pete was charming and incredibly innocent. He looked like a choirboy. I was over the moon when Pete asked me to marry him. He couldn't control his excitement when I accepted his proposal. He was shouting, 'You are going to cook my dinners and have my babies. You are going to be a good wife. We will be happy ever after'."

Presumably, though, Pete wouldn't object if his wife got a little part-time job once the kids were in school to keep her in chocolates and gin.

It's also hilarious that they met outside the Wag Club. In fact, this interview is probably far more damaging to Doherty's image than any number of shaky videos of him shoving cocaine up his bum:

He told me he lived in Mile End because he loved living with the working classes. (Pete's father is an Army major and the former choirboy was offered a place at Oxford University). He romanticised about them a lot, and I admired him because he was so passionate about it."

Never mind all this Albion malarkey - Pete turns out to be more like the Toynbee Hall Settlement Movement.

You might be wondering how it is that Pete never ended up marrying Evelina, and buying a former council house where he could watch the fascinating working classes going about their business while she made currant buns for tea, in between bouts of labour and morning sickness.

It was that Carl Barat - he came between them, the swine:

Pete had set up home with guitarist Carl Barat, whom he was to form the Libertines with, in Camden, North London. The boys shared a bedsit and Carl hated it when the lovers got intimate late at night. Evelina said: "Pete started kissing me once in the middle of the night and Carl shouted, 'Be quiet'. He then stormed out and made himself a cup of tea. Pete told me Carl didn't like the effect I had on him and somehow our relationship seemed to change. Pete started playing games and saying stuff like, 'Oh I mustn't spoil you', or, 'Don't fall in love with me'. Once I called him and asked whether I could come around. He replied, 'Why don't you just go home?' Sometimes he laughed at me and called me a foreign exchange student. He said he detested them and mimicked the way we spoke. I tried not to act upset, but I was. He had become wild, a bit crazy and totally untrustworthy."

So untrustworthy, actually, he apparently stole her coat to buy drugs. She finally dumped him when she went round to his house and he pretended to not be in. (Although, actually, we'd say technically, that meant that he dumped her.) You're probably best off out of it, Eve. Winter's coming, and you'll need your coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.