Monday, April 17, 2006

NADINE COYLE: COMFORTABLE BUT ILL?

Normally, we don't pay very much attention to the Heat-driven obsession with who's too thin, as it usually gets followed up the next week with an obsession with who's too fat. But since Nadine Coyle has given an interview to the Mirror to deny there's anything wrong with her weight, we suppose we should turn our attention there:

"I'm happy with the way I look," she says angrily. "Everyone's entitled to do whatever the hell they want to.

"It's not like I'm saying: 'I'm fat', so the criticism doesn't bother me.

"I was actually much skinnier when I was 17, before I joined the band.

"When Girls Aloud first hit it big I put on a bit of weight.

"We were eating hotel food every night and snacking on chocolate and crisps in the studios. I even got a little belly.

"So I changed my diet and started eating much more sensibly - that's how I lost the weight. And I've only actually lost half a stone recently."


Interestingly, Coyle also defends the right of walking skeleton Nicole Richie to be visibly ill:

"She has a right as a human being to be whatever the hell size she wants to be," says Nadine angrily.

"If she was moaning that she thought she was overweight, that would be different. But she's not."


Coyle is under seven stone seven pounds and five foot five, which means her body mass index comes in at less than 17.5. The NHS treats this as unhealthy:

If your BMI is less than 18.4 you are underweight for your height. People who are underweight may be at risk from health problems, including loss of bone density, malnutrition and disrupted periods (women).

And the angry defence of Richie and constant claims that it's okay because she's not saying she's fat are worrying - nobody would be as foolish as to issue a diagnosis on the basis of an interview with the Daily Mirror, but certainly it's worrying enough to make us hope she'll take a good, hard look at herself and think about getting some help. Even if she's not annorexic, she needs some proper food quickly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only just now realized exactly how YOUNG these girls are. I thought they were all probably around 20 when they started out. Somehow that puts a very different perspective on them.

Anonymous said...

Nadine has shrunk to an anorexic size 4 if that isn't a hint that she is too thin then i don't know what is, she looks absolutely horrific no matter what she wears a coat hange would look better than she does, and why she defends nicole richie is beyond me because nicole richie has a childs body not a wokmans and so does nadine if nadine gets any thinner they'll be hooking her up on an introvenous drip in hospital

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.