Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The confused feminist world of Beth Ditto

Beth Ditto is proposing an anti-shaving campaign:

"Why should we shave? Men don't."

"And if there's anybody who can make the girls ditch the razors, it's Kate [Moss]. "

"She's so fucking hot. I'd like to see her try and shave at Glasto.

Who wants to be tiptoeing in a shitty shower in the mud when you can be getting fucked listening to great music?"

But who would actually have been shaving at Glastonbury? Surely, if you're that bothered about body hair, you'd shave before leaving for Somerset, and if your hair grew so fast you needed to shave again before the end of the weekend, you'd probably have given up the battle.

We're reminded of a bit of Kate And Allie:
- My mother refused to let me shave my legs
- Your mother was ahead of her time
- My mother was a blonde

That Ditto would choose Moss to be a role model for this campaign is an extension of her earlier, confused embrace of Moss while rejecting size zero models. If this campaign ever happened, Ditto seems to be saying, somehow choosing Kate Moss as an ideal role model would magically mean people not noticing her tiny figure and only focusing on the hairy armpits. We're not sure if Ditto would make this happen through a repeated drumming pattern distributed by mobile phone, or simply using some sort of magic. Oh, hang on a moment - it's 'Kate Moss can't be seen to be promoting size zero because she's my friend', isn't it? We wonder if, Karen Elson sent a gift and an invitation to tea over to Ditto, then she'd magically turn from bad role model into a good one?


5 comments:

Mikey said...

What on earth is she talking about? I'm a man & I shave every day. Except at weekends.

Unless we're having guests over.

No, I don't shave my armpits but then again I don't show up to work in a vest.

Although I do like to have a bit of a tidy up below stairs now & then, and I don't turn up to work in a g-string so perhaps that's no comparison.

Regardless.

I think she's high on cake.

M.C. Glammer said...

Women really do need to stop pandering to the demands of men. This would include exposing a load of cleavage to hype your record into the charts with sales to pubescent teen boys who've never seen a naked lady.

Unknown said...

Men don't shave? That'll be a blow to Gilette.

Why does Beth Ditto keep talking about Kate Moss? When the revolution comes, these two will be among the first against the wall.

Ade said...

Go on, Simon, start a Doctor Who blog - you know you want to. :-)

Anonymous said...

I saw it on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage diving into the crowd. The crowd couldn't quite take the weight and its wasted body fell to the ground. It took three big security men to struggle to lift it back and for its next concert they're saying they're going to put enough room at the front for a fork-lift to fit. All this leads me to ask: Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to tell David Banner that he could sing when he's angry?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.