Monday, July 02, 2007

Timbaland has had enough

This could be bad news for any halfway-dumpered act looking for a spot of pricey "street" credibility: Timbaland is stepping down:

"Music is boring right now. I'm too innovative for the world."

Yes, nobody could accuse you of producing record after record, all of which sound interchangeable. We do agree that music would be a lot less boring if you went off to try your hand at something else.
"I've been doing it so long, I'm about to throw in the towel. I'm about to de-crown myself and pass it over to one of the up-and-coming producers under me. They won't be able to be me - there's only one Timbaland - but there's a certain sound that I try to teach."

Timbaland, you're a brand-name but so-so producer; you don't have to anoint a chosen one like you're the Dali lama.

Timbaland is currently working with Duran Duran. What a loss to the bleeding edge of new music his retirement will prove.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too innovative. Surely not, too inept, insipid, predictable, incapable maybe. That sound that Timberlake tries to teach, bland, featureless, boring, unoriginal pap.
Bit like Duran Durans catalogue then

Anonymous said...

"I'm too innovative for the world"

Why does this remind me of Big Brother's Seany's post-eviction interview the other week, in which he was asked why people voted for him and he claimed "Maybe because... I got on with everyone?"

Ya. That'll be it.

Anonymous said...

This is probably less a retirement announcement than a suggestion that he's going to start crediting people like Danja Handz, who ghost-produce loads of his stuff before he rolls in to go "oomh oomh tischh" over a bit near the end.

Anonymous said...

Anyone else stuck on the mental image of what the Dali Lama would look like?

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.