Wednesday, April 18, 2007

WWPR turns "ho"s down

In what may or may not be a sign of a new age in hip-hop radio, WWPR in New York has announced a new policy of refusing to play songs with "degrading images".

WWPR - which also travels under the name Power 105.1 - isn't making it entirely clear what 'degrading' images they're drawing the line at. The network is happy it won't have to do much work:

"The station won't sound that different, because we weren't playing a lot of that anyway," said program director Helen Little. "What we're doing is holding labels and artists accountable for what they say and how they say it "We want our listeners to know that whatever they hear here, we thought about it."

Hmm. At the moment, they've still got T-Pain's Buy You A Drink on the playlist - which is, effectively, "fuck me because I'm rich; then let's get drunk so you can forget you've fucked me."

They've also got Akon and Snoop's I Wanna Love You with its presumably non-degrading lyric:
Money in the air as mo’ fell
Grab you by your coattail, take you to the motel, ho sale
Don’t tell, wont tell, baby say “I don’t talk, Dogg unless you told on me” - oh well
Take a picture wit me, what the flick gon’ do
Baby stick to me and I’ma stick on you
If you pick me then I’ma pick on you
d-o-double g and I’m here to put this dick on you
I'm stuck on pussy and your’s is right
Rip ridin’ the poles and them doors is tight
And I’ma get me a shot ‘fo the end of the night
Cuz pussy is pussy and baby you’re pussy for life

If the station isn't going to sound very different, presumably this means we're going to need to recalibrate our ideas of what's degrading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.