Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pete Doherty: Will drop names for food

It's been noticeable that, during his time with Kate Moss, Pete Doherty stopped popping up giving interviews to the tabloids every ten minutes. Now, if you were cynical, you might think that a sign that he was doing these pieces as a form of income. That once he was being underwritten by Moss, they dried up seemed to confirm this. And now, funnily enough, once he's fending for himself again, why, he's once again whispering in the ears of the papers.

Today's Mirror interview tries to pull off the awkward three-way of presenting himself as a victim, trying to be nice to Kate in a bid to win her back, and giving enough to the paper to earn the fee:

In one breath the junkie rocker calls the 33-year-old supermodel a vile-tempered "nasty old rag" who frequently lashed out at him and "kicked me in the head".

In the next, he passionately declares: "I love her with all my heart. I like the way she walks and talks. I love her bones. I love her brain."

"Kate has broken my heart.

"There's been this lockdown and I can't get hold of her. This is the only way I can get through.

"I need her to know that she's out of her fucking mind. Kate, if you love me then realise I don't want any other girl.

He doesn't pull it off.
"Do I still love her? Don't ask me that question. Why do you think I'm here today talking to you? I'm here to tell her that I love her.

"Fucking hell man, why does she read the Daily Mirror, anyway? She moans all the time about the fucking paparazzi then first thing in the morning she's got to buy your paper."

There's one for the circulation department, then.
"Kate - a nasty old rag. We fell out for the same old reason. She accused me of fucking this girl who lives around the corner.

"We were watching a DVD together and Kate started going 'I could tell by the way you were sitting back there that you've fucked her'. I said 'You're out of your fucking mind'.

"I was really up for some peace and love that morning. I wasn't up for being called a cunt and being kicked in the head.

"She's got an awful temper. I grabbed a guitar and books and said 'I'm never going to be treated this way again'."

Ah. Doherty walked out. Right. Because he has his dignity, of course. Up to the "scrabbling around for coins in the Mirror" bit.

And what of the drucks, Pete: how is your drugs hell:
"They gave me an anti-drugs implant. I was under very, very heavy sedation.

"Then they gave me a sticker warning the emergency services that I shouldn't be given any morphine.

"All my receptors are now blocked which means I can't enjoy the recreational use of Class A drugs.

"Inside, I feel a little more chirpy than I have for a long, long time.

"But that's only because there's a degree of stability around me that I haven't had for some time."

More bloody implants? Good lord, man, you've been implanted more times than a brood mare to little effect. Why not try some anti-heroin gum while you're at it?

The suggestions about the new music aren't entirely encouraging, either:
"Everything is different this time post-rehab.

"I've never been in a position before where, God strike me down for saying this, I've actually made a record I can listen to and get off on.

"I've always been a bit weird about listening to my own stuff.

"But there are a couple of co-writes on the new album, a few co-writes with Kate - and it's a belter."

Oh, lord help us. Down In Albion was blighted by an apparent inability to be self-critical, so god alone knows what "everything I'm doing is brilliant" coupled with sharing songwriting duties with Kate Moss means.

As a gift to Moss, he pronounces her as clean as a children's book written by nuns:
"The last drugs we did together was the coke in the recording studio when you filmed us. After that, she went into rehab in Arizona and came out a different woman.

"Kate was determined to sort her life out and has done. She doesn't mind the odd spliff but won't go back down the route of the hard stuff. And she certainly won't let me do drugs in her house.

"Drugs are a big no-no for her now. All she wants is to be a good mum to her kid."

What a strange coincidence that the Mirror (or, rather, one of Doherty's mates) happened to catch Kate Moss' last-ever drugs session for posterity. Amazing, isn't it, like when people go through their parents' lofts and discover film of the Titanic leaving Southampton.

Having tried to do Kate a favour, Doherty then ratchets up the guilt a little on her:
"I'm feeling good and I'm determined I can beat the drugs.

"If I had Kate back then life wouldn't be so bad, would it?"

Not, of course, that he'd try to imply that his staying off drugs is in any way connected to her taking him back, or anything.

The one positive thing about Doherty when he's seeing Moss is that he's never as shabby as when he's left to his own devices.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh lord, what a silly thing to do :(

M.C. Glammer said...

Was that South African girl he shagged in the DVD they were watching, then? Cos it's not so much the way he sat back as the way she proclaimed it in the Mirror that really gave it away.

Still, I'd love to hear Kate do a version of that Carol Bayer Seger song, "You're Moving Out Today":

http://www.lyricsdownload.com/carol-bayer-sager-you-re-moving-out-today-lyrics.html

Anonymous said...

Er...is Pete Doherty the most classy bloke ever or have I missed something?

Obviously, he's the greatest lyricist that English music has ever seen (with the exception of the guy who wrote all the lyrics for Steps and the Nolan Sisters), but surely he has better means of communication than the Mirror? I'm disgusted that he has stooped that low when surely The Sun would have been prepared to step in for an appropriate fee.

It's just so sad to see. After all, Pete changed English music. Back in the old days, no rock stars used to go out with models and take drugs. No, back then they spent all their time...er...spent all their time..ah..going out with hot chicks and taking narcotics, which is completely different, as every Doherty fan knows!

Hurrah, Pete is still our saviour! The Albion sails on course, provided that being on course means sliding down a grotty drain towards obscurity and a nasty series of untreatable infections.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

MC:

Ahh... now you're taking me back to the days of the Pete Murray show... excuse me while I wipe away a tear of nostalgia...

Big Bad Boris:
Drugs... relationship with a model... dabbling in a bit of art and a spot of acting... blimey, Pete's Mick Jagger 2.0, isn't he?

M.C. Glammer said...

Pete Murray? Blimey, that's a bit far back even for me. Was he still about in the mid-70s?

Anonymous said...

Simon HB

Mick Jagger 2.0 is just about right. He needs just a few of the most minor tweaks and he's there. If he can just squeeze in a couple of ground breaking tours of the US, etch himself permanently as a force in modern music, and write an album that sells more than 100,000 copies to stoned 15 year olds, then he's pretty much EXACTLY like Mick, Keef and the boys.

I think this is pretty much guaranteed to happen. Doherty has shown every sign of buckling down and getting on with things, just as soon as he's finished speaking to the very magazines his fans say he is victimised by.

Still, sounds like he's in tip top form and I imagine the new album will be a roaring success for about 25 minutes in NME before becoming widely available in bargain CD bins in services stops on the motorway.

Once again, the Albion sails on course

BBB

Anonymous said...

Of course, now he's been told he's not allowed "on the streets of central London." Presumably, he's ok to fly down them though...

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.