Monday, May 21, 2007

Lily Allen confuses self with Beth Ditto

Considering that last night Lily Allen was saying she didn't have the time for worrying about Cheryl Tweedy no more, she's spent a lot of time talking to the Mirror about her. The trouble is that Allen is now trying to remake a showbiz-glitz spat into something more serious. She's fighting for women with eating disorders:

"There's nothing wrong with the way I look. I'm not overweight. I'm just not really, really thin.

"I don't feel that I over-eat, I'm just not someone who wants to live on a diet.

"And I haven't got time to go to the gym for 90 minutes every day.

"You see Girls Aloud in their skimpy outfits - that's the only image of women we ever see - so you start to assume that that's the correct way of looking and actually it isn't.

"There are a lot of young girls up and down the country still sticking their fingers down their throats and not eating anything.

"I've never had any eating disorders but I've had lots of friends who have and I think it's really sad.

"I'd rather encourage people who are reading all this stuff in the newspapers and magazines that they shouldn't feel bad about themselves. Everyone looks fine.

"What people like Cheryl Tweedy say isn't important.

"As far as I was concerned," says Lily, "I was trying to do something positive 9at New Look], you know, promote women of a larger size and make people feel better about their physical appearance."

All very laudable. Although, as Allen says, she's not overweight - she's not even chubby, so it's just as (if not more) dangerous for a woman of a normal body size to keep telling the media that she represents a "larger" body size - because most girls know the stick-thin look is unhealthy, but if you're comparing yourself to Allen, and she's saying she's chunky - what hope do you have?

And, if Allen is so empowering, how many of the dresses in her New Look range will fit a girl size 16 or above?

And to the point: Tweedy didn't call you fat - she said you looked like a tranny. Different thing entirely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

As a general rule, posts will only be deleted if they reek of spam.